Monday, August 16, 2010

Undeletable Text

Today I helped a fellow coworker with an issue he was facing and I thought I would share this experience with you.

Well the problem was that there was some notes written with mtext that C3D (2009) would not allow him to delete. C3D would not allow him to click on the text , which acted like the text was not even there. I knew for a fact that I had experience this same issue before in the past. I just couldn't remember what I did to fix it. I have provided below the steps of problem solving I took to solve this issue.

  1. I turned on all the layers = no results
  2. I turned on the wipeout frames = no results
  3. I ran an audit and purge = no results
  4. I turned on the attdisp option = no results
  5. I turned on all image frames = no results
  6. I tried to explode the text = no results
  7. I ran the battman command to see if it was some kind of block issue = no results
  8. I ran –pu and selected all  = no results
  9. I tried the text editor = no results

After trying all these steps, i still could not select the text. I finally decided to tab thru a few of the text commands to see if any of them would ring a bell. TEXTTOFRONT. Once i typed that command I was able to select the text and delete it. After that, i went back to my desk and wrote down the command in my little black book so I would not forget it.  I would like to know how many of you have experienced this same problem?

Anyways be looking for my next post this week and thank you for stopping by.


  1. We have experienced this strange behavior also in Civil 3D 2008, 2009 and 2010. Although it has been REALLY rare in 2010. I did not recall the TEXTTOFRONT command but I did realize strange relationship. I noticed that this only occurred on drawings that had tables on them. The solution was equally odd: deleting the tables (all of them) and then undoing the erase. After this tacky little procedure was done the text was fully editable.

    Dumb, I know.

    - KFD -

  2. Interesting. Yeah tables in the old version would act weird sometimes. Sometimes if you data link an excel table you can see it on the xref manager but you can not deleted or bind it. You have to go into the data link manager and delete it from there.